[K12OSN] Making K12LTSP "school friendly"

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Feb 9 03:43:04 UTC 2005

> What I'm hearing here is such a strong
> teacher dependence on and attachment to the computer, and worse, to
> certain specific applications, that I see it compromising actual
> education in the classroom.  It's preventing so many of you from
> going forward with a truly useful, not to mention economic,
>  *computer* tool like K12LTSP.

I kind of missed that point.  Exactly.  The biggest hurdle in every
situation I have approached LTSP and OSS so far has been the Teachers.  I
don't think they are against it because of the benefits (duh), but becuase
of fear of the unknown and the idea of change (also extra work to what I
hear is already an overburdened schedule).

This fear does/will compromise education as more budget cuts are approached
and technology moves to the background due to lack of funding.

This is why I have been trying to sell LTSP the concept and not LTSP the
application.  Again, to tell the truth most of the software available for
Linux I have not had the chance to use.  I don't need to.  All I know is it
is available, it is cheaper, and it is open which leads to more
flexibility.  If I get them to buy into those concepts, then we can nail
down what it is they are trying to teach with these tools and find specific
applications to accomplish these goals.

And I think I have overcome these hurdles in 12 of the schools I am involved
in and will be implementing K12LTSP and Linux (various platforms for other
services) over the summer.  Now I just have to figure out how to make it do
what I promised them, but that proves to be the easier part.  Especially
with this list available and the users that comprise it.