[K12OSN] RE: RE: smbldap-installer v. 1.2-gamma - gnome login "problem"

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Feb 9 03:53:08 UTC 2005

> You'll notice that the createusers script uses /bin/false by default,
>  but gives you the option to change that....  It makes sense that
> you can't ssh in to your box if it's set to /bin/false....you can't
> use the terminal if you have no environment to use...such as bash.
>  I created users both ways for testing...some with /bin/false and
> some with /bin/bash   The /bin/bash folks can ssh just fine...the
> others cannot.  smbldap-useradd -m -a username  creates users with
> /bin/bash as the shell by default....maybe we should change the
> script to default on /bin/bash?

Maybe I read this wrong but wasn't Matt saying that the usermod command
wasn't working properly?  So new users with useradd work fine, users created
with the script don't because they are set to /bin/false, but users modified
with usermod are changed from /bin/false to /bin/bash and still don't work.