[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

Ryan Collins collinsr at kentoncityschools.org
Wed Feb 9 16:03:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, David Trask wrote:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
> on Saturday, January 29, 2005 at 9:49 PM +0000 wrote:
> >I don't have an answer but understand your dilemma here.  In my schools
> >with younger kids they cannot remember individual passwords either.
> >So we have given them a "class" username and folder to log into.  I
> >would also be interested in any suggestions to solving this problem.
>
> I actually begin having kids log on in first grade.  We use a first
> initial, last name scheme  (jsmith).....with the kids phone number as
> their password.  This is a great thing...two-fold.....it helps the kids
> login as well as learn their phone number (which is important).

Everyone from 1st grade on up have the following usernames:

last two digits of the year they graduate, first four letters of their
last name, then their entire for name. For example:
13smitjohn - 4th grader named John Smith.

Passwords for grades 1-5 are their user id's. Teachers have easy access to
this number and it stays the same. All the computers in grades 1-5 show a
list of users, so they can just pick their name and enter their password
and go. We've had this in place for 4 years now, and the only complaints I
get are from 1st grade teachers (and one 2nd grade teacher :-).

Grades 6-12 get a randomly generated password at the beginning of the year
when they hand in their signed AUP.

I use quotas and do not erase files after each year. Students like it
because they can go back and look at stuff they did a few years ago, and
they like that their settings follow them.

I know in this situation you can't change the login aspect, but using
individual logins would help all sorts of problems!

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator
Kenton City Schools