[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 12, Issue 73

Burroughs, Henry HBurroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Fri Feb 11 14:27:35 UTC 2005

Sharon,

Quickest route would be to setup winbindd (part of Samba) on your
K12LTSP server, which would allow you to authenticate using the users
and groups in ::shudder:: Active Directory.

The one warning I can give is with Active Directory Ids-> UID mappings.
If you add another Linux server and set it up w/ winbindd, unless you
share the winbindd mapping database, users will have different Unix Uids
on the 2 systems.  But this will only affect you if you have more than
one Linux system authenticating (and care about same UID mappings).
There is information about it and you can cross that bridge later (I
personally loaded a schema into AD and I pull straight LDAP from it...).

I use my Win2k server with DHCP (so I turn k12ltsp's off).  You probably
have your user's files on the Win2k3 TS, so I am a bit unfamiliar with
samba automounting those shares.

Once you get this up and running, you might want to check out
Microsoft's Services for Unix and setup just a linux workstation to see
if you can get authentication going.  Let me know if I can help.

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School
www.hhprep.org

From: "Sharon Betts" <sbetts at msad71.net>

I need to put a Linux Terminal Server onto a Windows network.  What
should
I do?
I have thick clients (they all boot locally from Flash).
I have a WIndows 2003 Terminal Server working very well.
I want to add a linux terminal server to serve  GIMP, StarOffice,
Scribus,
Freemind, cMap, etc.
It doesn not need to do DHCP or anything else except serve apps.
What is the easiest way to do this?      Don't tell me  at this point to
go LDAP etc.
I understand all that, but at this time, simply want to add Linux TS --
help?
Sharon
MSAD#71 Director of Educational Technology
sbetts at msad71.net          http://www.msad71.net     207-985-1100
"To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
Robert Orben