[K12OSN] Linux TS help

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Fri Feb 11 15:55:41 UTC 2005

 Sharon,

There may be better ways, but here's one way that might work.

Set up a linux server with accounts for each user.  Install the GIMP, Scribus, etc.  Use ssh to connect to the linux server and run the applications.  You may need to install Cygwin/X on the windows machines in order to get the graphics to work, but I'm not sure about that.  I haven't tried any of this myself.

Are your thick clients are running Windows?  "Putty" is a free ssh client for Windows (I don't have any experience w/ it, though).  Perhaps you could set up a "scribus" icon which calls a batch file that ssh's the linux server, logs in, and launches Scribus, all w/o user intervention--except for double-clicking the icon, of course.

I may be completely wrong here.  I've been thinking about this issue and it seems to me like this will work, but I haven't actually tested any of it.

-Rob