[K12OSN] Making K12LTSP 'school friendly'

richard ingalls aslansreturn at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 18:56:13 UTC 2005

--- Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:46:29AM -0600, Jim
> Kronebusch wrote:
> > > How much does this issue come up in 'all Mac'
> schools?
> >
> > Having worked in all mac schools....it sure isn't
> any better.
> >
> > Brings up a funny point, Reader Rabbit runs on Mac
> too, just not linux.
>
> Heh, back before I got my current gig (cellphone
> game programming), I had
> sent my resume to the likes of Riverdeep.  Never got
> a response. :^P
>

> I played with Reader Rabbit on Apple II, way, way,
> way back in the early 80s.
> I don't even remember what it did.  Is there
> absolutely nothing like it in
> the OSS / Linux world?
>
> Perhaps it's time I seriously looked into Python and
> pyGame. :^)
>

> -bill!
> bill at newbreedsoftware.com         "I'm anticipating
> an all-out tactical
> http://newbreedsoftware.com/      dog-fight,
> followed by a light dinner."

go for it bill!  i love what you've already created -
especially tuxpaint.  and tuxmath would probably be my
favorite math program ever (for basic skills) IF i
could adjust the settings to only have addition or
only subtraction (etc... you get the point), and
single digits, double-digits, etc.  why, i bet i could
convince my school district to pay you some money to
add that feature to your already wonderful program.

i use your apps in my Windows-only lab (stand-alone
PCs).  i'd like to see a way to make them work faster
in my LTSP labs, but i'm NOT using Xeons or Gigabit,
so i'm probably outta luck there....

back on topic.  bill has a great point.  he or someone
like him could create the OSS "clones" of Jumpstart
and  Reader Rabbit, etc.  at MY school we are just
looking for some quick, fun ways to reinforce the
basic skills kids are learning in class (phonics,
letter recognition, phoneme awareness, basic math
computation, etc.).  this is what we use our
Windows-based software for.  also, something that is
similar to Inspiration/Kispiration (which i KNOW bill
could do because the concept seems similar to "stamps"
in tuxpaint).

i'm not interested in the debate about whether we
should or should not use Reader Rabbit or Oregon Trail
or Jumpstart.  that is for each district to determine
on their own.  in fact, i couldn't care less about
these products.  BUT they do serve a useful purpose
for my teachers (NOT as baby-sitting toys - though i'm
sure there are teachers that would do that).  Oregon
Trail is a fun way to spend a few minutes of free time
AND it's educational (see?).