[K12OSN] Re: Two related problems

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 21:49:21 UTC 2005

Hi;

I am not sure why I never get any response on this list... I must be in
everyone's plonkfile for some reason. Anyone know?

>I still cannot get my system to set the default gateway automatically.
>
>I looked at the dhcp lease, and the correct gateway is in the lease
>file, but the gateway is not being set.
>
>I thought maybe the problem was with the firewall, but I reinstalled
>without the firewall and I have the same problem.
>
>So, my question is ... to which file can I add a line like
>route add default gw 10.0.0.1
>which will be run at startup?

Anyhow, I figured out how to do this. I added the line to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
and now the gateway is set on boot.

>2nd question, which is related because the system is fine as long as
>no one reboots it is ... How do I keep regular users from rebooting
>the system?
>
>I used gdmconfig to remove the shutdown and reboot buttons from
>the login screen, but those choices are still available when a user
>logs out.

For this, I edited
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
and uncommented the lines that start with
#RebootCommand= and
#HaltCommand=
and removed everything after the = sign.

Thanks for your time.