[K12OSN] Thinstation

tkaldahl at maplewoodacademy.org tkaldahl at maplewoodacademy.org
Fri Feb 11 23:42:57 UTC 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 03:09 pm, Sharon Betts wrote:
> I am trying to get some donated laptops to boot using thinstation and then
> hook to our terminal server.  I have the ISO burned to a CD and it begins
> "network not initiated, halting process"  and stops.   Has anyone ever
> worked with this?  Any suggestions?
> http://thinstation.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/ThIndex
>
> Sharon
> MSAD#71 Director of Educational Technology
> sbetts at msad71.net          http://www.msad71.net     207-985-1100
> "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
> Robert Orben

Check the BIOS on the laptops to see if they will PXE Boot. I used my Compaq
laptop as a thinclient that way. Had to set the video driver to savage in
LTS.conf to make X work, but it did work.  If you care at all about the
batteries you might want to take them out. I am pretty sure that the lack of
any power management on the laptop as a client is what fried mine. Maybe not,
but it was good when I started and at the end of the day it wouldn't last
more than 5 minutes or take much of a charge. On the other hand, I have never
been too impressed with compaq's batteries. This is the third one for that
computer.

Tim Kaldahl
Maplewood Academy