[K12OSN] Installing 4.2.0 (any hints or tips?)

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Sat Feb 12 02:08:13 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Friday, February 11, 2005 at 2:20 PM +0000 wrote:
>- apt/yum/whatever for updates

works out of the box....

>- webmin (i use it alot)

On root's desktop there is a folder for installing additional
software....webmin is one of the choices

>- adobe reader
>- flash player
>- java j2re

These are also in that same folder....just click and install (uses yum)

>- mount /home

You only do this if your using another server for authentication and the
home dirs live on another server....otherwise it's not necessary.

>- IceWM

IceWM should be installed by default...If you want to make IceWM the
default...see the wiki for the most recent way to do that....it's
essentially that you go to /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions....and move the
others...KDE, Gnome to another folder called "disabled"...etc.

>- sound on clients

In lts.conf  /opt/ltsp/lts.conf (I think) you need to change SOUND = Y  (I
think it already has nasd enabled by default...if so...go with it....if I
were you I'd up the volume a little too....also found in
lts.conf....simply increase the number)

>- sound on flash in mozilla

If you do the step above it should work...especially in IceWM....works for
me.   there has been some discussion in the past couple weeks on this list
on how to get sound working using esd....I haven't tried it though

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us