[K12OSN] Installing 4.2.0 (any hints or tips?)

Tom Lisjac netdxr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 07:02:47 UTC 2005

Richard,

We've been using IceWM for several years and recommend it highly for a
classroom desktop. It's fast, lightweight and provides a fixed menu
and toolbar configuration that can't be "creatively adjusted" by the
kids. :)

A downside of IceWM is that the menus usually need to be configured
with a text editor because the automated Gnome menu importer isn't
optimal.  A few months ago I found an improved package that
dynamically creates the menu entries with their associated icons:

http://linuce.free.fr/Softwares/icewm-menu-gnome/

The app creates the menu when the user first clicks on it... but
there's a delay involved while the app processes the Gnome entries. I
didn't like this so I used the app to generate a static text file of
all the menu entries with their associated icons in the 4.2.0 release.
If you're interested, I'll be happy to send you a copy.

-Tom