[K12OSN] Re: time stopped

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 15:18:16 UTC 2005

>From dmesg...
Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed. [* ~150]
Losing too many ticks!
TSC cannot be used as a timesource.
Possible reasons for this are:
  You're running with Speedstep,
  You don't have DMA enabled for your hard disk (see hdparm),
  Incorrect TSC synchronization on an SMP system (see dmesg).
Falling back to a sane timesource now.

Checked again this morning, and it looks like there is still
a problem with the clock.

Looks like dma is enabled.

# hdparm /dev/hda1

/dev/hda1:
multcount    = 16 (on)
IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
using_dma    =  1 (on)
keepsettings =  0 (off)
readonly     =  0 (off)
readahead    = 256 (on)
geometry     = 16383/255/63, sectors = 106896384, start = 63

It is not a mobile system, so I don't think it is SpeedStep

It is not a SMP system, but I think the default is to use a SMP
kernel, right?  Trying to debug this by remote control, and I can't
actually remember.

Should I try the non-SMP kernel?

I also see this:
atkbd.c: Keyboard on isa0060/serio0 reports too many keys pressed.

Maybe a faulty keyboard creating an interrupt storm?  I can try a new
keyboard next time I go over there...

Any other ideas?