[K12OSN] Proxy Help

Barry Solof barry at yellowdog.com
Thu Feb 17 15:06:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm not certain IPCop will handle the transparent proxy authentications
because I've not tested it that way.  It will, with addons, handle the
filtering and authentication like a champ.

This is a big deal for us because we used to build our proxy servers by
hand.  We had to install linux then compile squid by hand in order to
get the proper authentication to ldap (edirectory).   Then we would add
squidGuard and a firewall.  This would take hours.  The first one we did
took days...

The new IPCop makes this really painless.  We can install and configure
a firewall in about 30 or 40 minutes and edit our configuration through
the IPCop web interface.  It is a beautiful solution.

Get IPCop from: www.ipcop.org
Get the URL Filter addon:  http://www.urlfilter.net/
Get the Advanced Proxy for authentication:  http://www.advproxy.net/

The url filter and advanced proxy have a painless install (with a
script) and very good documentation.  We've got 3 of them in production
right now.

As they say on the beer commercial: "Brilliant!"

Barry Solof
County of Cumberland