[K12OSN] running DHCP by default

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Feb 17 21:17:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 10:44, Jay Pfaffman wrote:
> I've done it again.  I just got a visit from a network guy complaining
> that I'm spewing bogus IP numbers to anyone who requests one.  It's
> the third time.  The first time it disabled a lab that I was teaching
> in.

If you are running a 2-NIC configuration the only thing you need to
know is which one is eth0 and which is eth1 - and this will change
from release to release depending on the order the kernel detects
them.  It won't help to make you change a config file if you don't
know which adapter is which.  To be safe, all you should have to do
is disconnect the ethernet cable toward the rest of the world until
you have booted a client.  Since the client won't boot unless you
provide dhcp and the default config only activates one interface,
that will establish that you aren't doing dhcp on the remaining
interface.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com