[K12OSN] Installing Linux Options

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Feb 18 00:27:37 UTC 2005

This has already been addressed for K12LTSP, which means any other Red
Hat / Fedora distro as well.

If you want to do standalone workstations, two other excellent distros
for this are Slackware and SuSE.  I haven't yet learned how to do a
network install of Slackware, but here's how to do it for SuSE Linux.
I'll use v9.1 as an example, though these same instructions apply for
v9.2 as well.  Of course, this would be in addition to having the kids
do FTP or NFS installs of K12LTSP.

Make an anonymous FTP server; I use vsftpd for this.  Copy all your
files from the CDs (there are five of them) or DVD to some directory on
this FTP server.  I use /ftp/pub/suse/i386/9.1.  Grab the "FTP Install"
ISO image, which lives in the boot/ directory under this tree.  The file
is called "boot.iso".  Burn this to a bunch of CD-ROMs and have your
kids boot off of these CD-ROMs.  The only thing you'll need to know is
what kind of NIC you have, for you will need to select the manual
install and load your NIC driver.  Once you do that, you just keep
going, tell it you want to do a network install, and that you want to
use FTP.  Pop in the /ftp/pub/suse/i386/9.1 path when it asks you where
to install from, and off you'll go!

Having your kids do more than one distro will help them nail down some
of the concepts better.  They will also see that one distro does this
better, another does this better, and this one over here might have this
other focus.  This kind of knowledge is a good thing.

--TP