[K12OSN] OT? OpenOffice on XP - Response file

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Fri Feb 18 13:29:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 03:19:37AM -0800, Rob Owens wrote:
> What about using the XP machine to connect to a linux
> server to run OpenOffice?  That would show them that
> they wasted their money on Windows XP!
>
> -Rob

Or just install OO on the Win machines (using the Win OO executables of
course). That way they can run OO without loading up your server.

One nibble at the Open Source tree of knowledge may be all it takes to
open their eyes.

In addition to the Windows executable version of OO there area ton of
F/OSS programs for education that run on both Linux and Win.  Some
faculty and staff I know use these to introduce their schools to the
idea of using F/OSS which eventually includes LTSP.

Here a web site that focuses on F/OSS that run on both platforms:

	List of programs (run on Win or Lin)
	http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/en/bestlist.html

	Download page (list o' mirrors)
	http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/en/order.html

	Home page
	http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/en/index.html

(P.S.  It is considered good style to trim all the excess verbiage
from reply to post, which in this case was everything except
the new comment. about 65 out of 70 lines... )

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"