[K12OSN] Re: Error on running Samba/LDAP script

Matt Oquist moquist-k12osn at majen.net
Mon Feb 21 19:44:11 UTC 2005

Hi Greg,

> First of all, nice work both on the documentation, and the script.
Thanks, though the documentation was done by Dave Trask.  But I take
credit for the scripts.  :)

> A tripping place that I'm having, both with the IdealX recipe, and the
> script I got from your site, is with the SID.
> The script logged an error when it tried, and here's what I get when I try:
> [root at medusa smbldap-installer]# net getlocalsid
> [2005/02/21 14:23:56, 0] utils/net.c:net_getlocalsid(494)
>  Can't fetch domain SID for name: MTOLYMPUS-PDC
> [root at medusa smbldap-installer]#

Hmm.  Are you running the script on a fresh (non-updated) FC3 or
K12LTSP 4.2 installation?  My only guess ATM is that some package is
different than what the script expects so some config files are messed
up.

I don't understand the localsid enough to be able to diagnose what
would cause the error you specify without looking at the box myself.
Is there any way you can give me ssh access to it?  If you'd like,
I can give you temporaray access to one of my systems to we can just
use ssh reverse port forwarding to get me into your system.

(You would ssh to me with a command like the following:
ssh -R 1887:localhost:22 username at mojo.yi.org

And then I could ssh to my own server on port 1887 and connect back
into your box.)

I'm copying the K12OSN list so we can hopefully get some help from
somebody there.  If you aren't on the list, let me know and I can
bounce any replies to you (until you join, which I highly recommend).

--matt