Rép. : Re: [K12OSN] Grub interactive booting problem

Guy-Michel Lessard GLessard at cegepoutaouais.qc.ca
Tue Feb 22 14:07:22 UTC 2005

Thanks Boris for answering back, i`m a bit overwhelmed in my teaching
these days so i could not answer back.
You are right, there is a initrd command in grub.
I tried it but no go, It starts loading up low level drivers and then a
cascade of error messages. As far as i can see on the screen (there may
be more before but i can't scroll back the screen) i get:
libata: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module.

The last line essentially repeats for all the latter modules.

>>> boris.lenzinger at castify.net 2005-02-17 12:50:28 >>>

You have to specify an initrd for booting.
Once you have typed
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-xxx ro root=LABEL=/
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
you have to type
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
initrd /boot/initrd-xxx
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
where xxx is the same version as the one of the kernel. Command line
completion should be helpful to avoid typo.

With a local boot, it works likes this but may be in LTSP (I'm not
familiar with it), it can be different.

The root=LABEL=/ is a way to detect the / partition without having to
specify a partition like /dev/hda1 (from what I've understood). So you
can have a rack with another disk in which you have a disk where
partition slash is labelled / and it should run the same way...

Hope it helps.

Boris