[K12OSN] cron & crontab (was Re: Presentation Freezing)

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Feb 22 14:31:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 08:15, Petre Scheie wrote:

> My colleagues and I generally put backup scripts in root's crontab,
> /var/spool/cron/root, I think partly because if one of us adds a job,
> and later another needs to look at it, the first place we tend to look
> is root's crontab because we know that it was added by us; that is, it
> didn't come as part of the stock OS.

Yes, that's the right place for things you add interactively, but you
should not edit the file directly.  Run 'crontab -e' instead.  This
pops you into your $EDITOR with the current contents of the file
and when you exit, notifies cron that the file has changed.  You
can also run 'crontab -l' if you just want to list the contents.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com