[K12OSN] gimp

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Feb 23 08:06:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 03:14:42AM -0800, Rob Owens wrote:
> Speaking of the GIMP, is there a simpler alternative?
> Maybe something along the lines of the basic editing
> software that comes packaged with a digital camera?

KView in KDE seems pretty basic, but also pretty useful.  It's an image
viewer and can do slideshows and such.  It can also crop, rotate, and let
you change gamma, tint the image ("blend color") and change
the brightness/intensity of an image, and save it back (or 'Save As' to a new
file).

Kolourpaint in KDE is more of a drawing program, but is still extremely
basic, compared to Gimp (from what I can tell).  It has some drawing and
selection tools, as well as crop, scale, rotate, flip, and a number of
other effects ('balance' for brightness/contrast/gamma, an 'emboss' effect,
sharpen/soften, and others).

Debian shows the following 'Installed-Size' on my i386 Sarge (Testing) box:
(not counting the dependencies)

  Gimp:         8236
  Kolourpaint:  1736
  KView:        1444

I'm sure there are others...  probably some GNOME alternatives to these KDE
apps I've listed.  I just don't use GNOME these days, so I'm not familiar
with what's available any more. :^)

Good luck!!!

-bill!