[K12OSN] one more time

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Feb 23 16:36:36 UTC 2005

Please elaborate on what you're trying to do.  It's not clear to me what
you want to accomplish.  If all your clients boot from their local
drives, what's the point of the terminal server?  Actually, the real
question is the other way around: since you can have the clients boot
from an LTSP server, why even bother having a locally-installed OS on
the clients?  Or are these Windows boxes that need to remain so, but you
want to use a boot-floppy for those times when you want them to be
thin-clients?

I think the simplest approach would be to start by building a two-NIC
LTSP server, with one NIC connected to a switch that only has terminal
clients attached to it, and the other NIC connected to your existing
network.  This is the default configuration for LTSP.  This way, the
DHCP server on the LTSP server only provides IPs to the clients, not
other workstations, and it doesn't bother the rest of your existing
network.

Are you trying to provide additional workstations for users but have
them all have access to the existing Windows resources?

Petre