[K12OSN] Server sound question

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Feb 23 20:50:35 UTC 2005

> Jim,
>
> Nope.  A sound card in the server is definately not required.
>
> If you are using k12ltsp, the sound support should already be
> there. If you are using straight LTSP, then you'll have to
> add some stuff to the server. Go to the LTSP.org wiki,
> there's some information there about configuring sound.
>
> Jim McQuillan
> jam at Ltsp.org

The system I am wondering about here is using k12ltsp and my test
machine right now for sound is a T150.  It is booting to the default of
Gnome and I can't get any sound out of the client.  I have the following
set in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

SOUND			= Y
SOUND_DAEMON	= "nasd"
SMODULE_01		= soundcore
SMODULE_02		= ac97_codec
SMODULE_03		= via82cxxx_audio

I have also tried getting sound to work for the Term150 on a iBook
server with straight ltsp 4.1 on ppc Ubuntu with the same settings.  I
added the ltsp-sound-1.0-0.2.tar.bz2 from
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Sound to the server.  With nasd
set I get nothing.  With esd set I get multi-toned static when it tries
to play sound.

Any ideas for either system?  I just want to get something working as a
baseline so I can tackle what needs to be set for sound to work on ppc
clients.  This worked fine in the past but doesn't seem to work so well
with 4.2.

For a test I am just trying to play system sounds through sound panel in
preferences.  Is there a better baseline test?