[K12OSN] Netware 6 Authentication

Daniel Hedblom daniel.hedblom at skola.solleftea.se
Wed Feb 23 22:46:03 UTC 2005

I have 2.2.6 installed and mounting /home/user to two servers from netware. It
works pretty well except the first time for some applications like SSH or any
application that looks for a Unix account. When the unix account exist it works.
I used the howto at criticalcontrol. Only drawback with CC howto is that
everything is mounted 755 thus making everything in /home executable by default.
You can fix this by editing the code.

You can pass -o filemode=XXX (and -o dirmode=XXX) to ncpmount.  To do it
from pam_ncp you'll have to modify sources, unfortunately, ncpmount options
are hardcoded in sources.  In latest version it is

argv[i++] = "-o";
argv[i++] = "symlinks,exec";

Just change second line to contain all wanted options, like

. "symlinks,exec,filemode=0600,dirmode=0700"

or whatever default file & directory modes you prefer.

Novell is readying a client to be released shortly but i wouldnt wait for them.
Try ncpfs out.

Citerar Linux_Man at comcast.net:

> Our LTSP server authenticates to a Netware 6 server; through proper
> configuration of PAM, the users' home directories are automatically mounted
> as well.  Be aware that the home directory mounting only works with ncpfs <=
> 2.2.4; with 2.2.5 it was not working for me.
>
> Here's a guide:
>
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/6019.html
>

> > I am running Netware 6 in my environment and would like the ltsp clients to
>
> > authenticate to the existing network.  This way I only need to maintain one
> set
> > of users/passwords in LDAP.  Does anyone have ltsp clients logging into a
>
> > Netware server. (I suppose it is actually the ltsp server that is doing the
>
> > logging in).
> > As well if you are using LDAP such as OpenLdap, Active Dirctory, or Novell
>
> > Directory Services; is it necessary to have individual user accounts on the
> ltsp
> > server as well as in LDAP?
> > I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of  some
> > documentation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Burt Carter

> > Sent via the WebMail system at mail.jchs.com
> >

> > This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain
> legally
> > privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of the
>
> > addressee.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
> you are
> > hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
> other
> > use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have
>
> > received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
> > telephone (478-982-6000) or by electronic mail, and delete this message and
> all
> > copies and backups thereof.  Thank You.

 /V\ Daniel Hedblom  | Nipanskolan