[K12OSN] Have static IP - now how to setup intranet access?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Feb 24 15:07:33 UTC 2005

> What I do know is how to assign a new IP address to our
> existing domain name. But when I type in this new IP into my
> browser, how do I get it to go to our local k12/apache server
(http://10.0.0.1/) in Biloela? (The main reason for wanting this,
besides being able to host our own website, is that teachers want to be
able to access our intranet from home)

I think I can help with this part.  From what I gather you want your
intranet to be able to type www.yourdomain.com and go to ip 10.0.0.1 for
your webserver, and outside users you want to be able to type
www.yourdomain.com and go to your new static IP address.

If this is correct you want to separate DNS servers or a Bind split DNS
server.  Separate ones are easier for the newcomer.  What you want is to
have a DNS server (the authoritative one that your domain registrar
points to) that serves all your static external IP's to the general
public.  Then build a separate internal server that resides on your
intranet that points all of the same records to internal IP's (such as
the 10.0.0.1).  Now if you have say your website hosted internally but
your email externally it is okay to mixed internal and external numbers
on this intranet DNS server.  Then point your dhcp server to offer the
intranet dns server to your clients, and any static machines point to
the intranet dns server.  Then internal users will go to the internal
address and external users will work like they always did.

You could also do this with hosts files and such but the internal dns
server is much easier to maintain, just a little extra work in the
beginning to setup.  And your k12ltsp box should have bind on it already
you just needs to setup zones and zone files.