[K12OSN] Custom XF86Config

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Feb 24 21:25:22 UTC 2005

> Okay so I went back about a month and found where Jim M
> already told me to put the custom XF86 file into
> /opt/ltsp/ppc/etc directory.  My error went away.  Now I just
> need to figure out why it isn't booting.

Let's try some more info here to see if anyone can help.

I am unable to boot ppc indigo vintage iMacs from ltsp.  Boots to
command prompt just fine, but when startx is issued it fails.  So I
tried to load YDL in order to take a working XF86Config from it to slam
on the server, YDL fails to load and startx.  So I slapped Ubuntu on it,
bam, it works.  So I took the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 from the working
Ubuntu iMac Indigo.  I put the config into
/opt/ltsp/ppc/etc/XF86Config-4.indigo (I figure I would just name custom
configs by mac flavor).  Then point in /opt/ltsp/ppc/etc/lts.conf
"XF86CONFIG_FILE = XF86Config-4.indigo" under [ma:ca:dd:re:ss:xx].

Now when I startx it still says I need to specify an XSERVER.  Shouldn't
it be getting that from my XF86Config?

Where do I start for troubleshooting this?