[K12OSN] wild speculation on K12LTSP's future

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sat Feb 26 03:35:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 pnakashi at k12.hi.us wrote:

> From: David Trask <dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us>
>
>> Ubuntu is also based on
>> rock-solid Debian...and the more I play with Debian (and I have a
>> LOT to learn) the more I like it.  It just makes sense.
>
> We are so looking forward to meeting Eric at our eSchool conference here in Hawaii. Eric, our hearts are filled with aloha for you and your efforts. You've made such an impact, and we are greatful.
>
> We've also been following the Skole Linux project. Since Skole Linux is Debian based, is there any chance this new direction could merge the best of both? I'm a teacher, not a techie, so I don't even know if it would make any sense.
> --Peter

I've been working with Ubuntu & LTSP to help make LTSP easier to
integrate into a distribution (K12LTSP is currently the only
distribution with LTSP integrated, so making it easier for Ubuntu
will in turn make it easier for K12LTSP). Even this is at the early stages.

But the underlying concept is an attempt to eliminate duplications
of efforts and to leverage the expertise of different projects.

So, if you want to dabble in some extremely wild speculation, you
could take this underlying concept and apply it to K12LTSP & Skolelinux.

I'm not sure what will shake out in the end, but it is a heathy
exercise for us to think about this.

Hmmm, I can even come up with a scenario that is not too much of a
fantasy. Let's say that Ubuntu adds LTSP, the education apps, etc
that makes K12LTSP unique. All of these things are on the Ubuntu
TODO list. Next, Skolelinux bases a new version on Ubuntu rather than
Debian. K12LTSP & Skolelinux would be effectively merged...

-Eric