[K12OSN] Installing using disk image WinXP pro

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu at orcon.net.nz
Sun Feb 27 05:56:35 UTC 2005

A little background:

As mentioned in a recent email I need to install WinXP pro on 5 computers at
our school. Each machine has identical hardware.

*********************
Specific task at hand:

I would like to install WindowsXP incl. updates, antivirus and other
essential programs on one computer, then copy the image of the hard drive to
the other machine.

1.Use Norton ghost, copy image to network share then use recovery disk to
access image from network. (Preferred solution, because it will be easier to
reinstall in future using this way.)
2. Take out the disk and use dd if= of= under linux (CDbased distribution,
or put both HDs into another machine) to make a direct copy of the disk.

Notes:
1. I know that for the computer to work on the network properly the netbios
name and SID needs to be changed after the image has been copied.

Any suggestions or tips?