[K12OSN] How many K12LTSP installations?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Feb 1 05:21:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Bryant Patten wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> 	Anyone care to guess at how many K12LTSP installations exist both
> nationally and internationally?
>
> 	I was asked that question today while touting its virtues and realized
> I didn't have a decent answer.
>
> 	A follow up question (for bonus points) would be the average number of
> users on an installation so we could give out the total number of people using
> it on a given day.

I've always been tempted to install something that would "phone home"
providing details about how K12LTSP is being used. No mattered how hard
I tried, I have not come up with a way to do it that I'd want running on my
own systems ;-)

As it is, there are a few metrics we can see.

First is the reports of big deployments. Jim already mentioned the
80,000 & growing in South Africa. There was recently an article that
Chile is deploying K12LTSP into 600 more schools. and so on.

I have my ftp/http/rsync logs, but no stats from the many mirrors.
A quick grep of the recent logs shows about 60,000 downloads & about
11,000 that have run apt, up2date, or yum against my repositories. Of
course most of the big deployments I know of keep their own mirrors/
repositories.

-Eric