[K12OSN] Help! I just hosed my whole system...

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Tue Feb 1 08:28:30 UTC 2005

OK, I just did something phenomenally stupid.  Maybe one of you gurus
has the answer, or you can tell me, definitively, that I'm out of luck
so I can get busy rebuilding the system.

Here's the background.  I installed K12LTSP using the default
partitioning settings.  I had 2 hard drives in there though, one was 13
gig and one was 40 gig.  I was intending to put the /home partition on
the 40 gig after everything was installed and stable.  I forgot about
all that "LVM" stuff that I didn't understand during the install.

So, I was using some instructions that someone on this list gave me.  I
got to the line that said mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 and everything looked
fine.  After that executed though and the command prompt returned my
computer froze.  On reboot I got a message about not all parts of a
certain [Foobar]Vol00 (I'm sorry I can't remember exactly what it was
called) not being able to be found.

What I'm assuming happened is that the 40 gig drive was somehow married
to the 13 gig.  And it was already formatted as part of an LVM
structure, when I put the ext3 file system on that part of the partition
I hosed that arrangement and now I'm completely screwed.  Is this a
correct assessment?  If not, what do I have to do to put the LVM back
together again?

Any help, advice, claps on the shoulder, would be most appreciated now.

Thanks a lot,

ck