[K12OSN] Help! I just hosed my whole system...

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Feb 1 14:49:14 UTC 2005

I think your system is toast.  While you might, MIGHT be able to get the 40GB
drive back into Vol00 using vgextend, the system would most likely 1) refuse to
let you modify Vol00 since it's already broken; 2) if it did allow you to add
it, it would treat it as a new disk being added to the volume group rather than
as the old one being put back in.  I think scenario #1 is most likely, and you'd
spend a lot of time trying to get it back in there, such that it would be faster
to just start over.  If you start over, you can either re-do the disk
allocations manually, so that you can keep the 40GB from being part of Vol00; or
you might just unplug the drive during the installation, take the default disk
partitioning that will be done to the 13GB, and then when installation is
complete, plug the 40GB back in, and allocate it as you wish.

Petre