[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Tue Feb 1 14:58:07 UTC 2005

Here's where the problem lies....you are trying to make a multi-user
environment into a single-user environment.  Unlike your probable current
situation....the users data is saved locally on the hard drive.  Thus you
can use the same login for everyone as they physically are on different
machines.  In an LTSP situation....they are all on the same machine...and
under your proposal...the same account.  Each time certain programs load
and execute there are certain things that get written to the user's
"profile" in the home directory.  There are a multitude of hidden files
such as .gnome, .kde, .mozilla....etc.  While Mozilla and OO will be the
biggies, there are many other programs that will also cause issues.  When
one student makes a change it writes to the home directory....if you have
multiple logins to the same home directory...imagine the collisions.  Some
where here on the list or in the wiki is a method for "auto-login" of
workstations.  Thus you could have each workstation log in automatically
to its own account.....create a location (common) as a drop box for
storing files....and that way have your cake and eat it too.