[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

Tom Lisjac netdxr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 20:06:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:08:42 -0200 (EDT), Ramon <ramonklown at pop.com.br> wrote:
> It's much easier to manage 1 or 2 logins then 200 individual logins.

Yes, that's the primary reason. Otherwise we'd we'd have to manage
about 7000 student accounts... which would not be fun or productive.

> > What is the reason for needing identical logins....
> > I guess what I'm getting at is, do you really need to have multiple identical
> > logins, or does it just need to *appear* that you have multiple identical logins?

The above admin stuff aside, we are also trying to promote Linux more
broadly in our district. We've been at it for years but haven't been
very successful because Linux has been perceived as being awkward and
hard to administer.

If I were to tell the admins at this school that they would have to
change their long standing login procedures in order to use Linux, I'd
add fuel to the Linux phobia... so the keywords that are driving this
project are "adapt, blend in and be easy". :)

Thanks!

-Tom