[K12OSN] freenx problem

Trond Mæhlum trondrm at online.no
Wed Feb 2 20:04:28 UTC 2005

ons, 02,.02.2005 kl. 14.29 -0500, skrev Mark Gumprecht:
> I've  about 5 hrs in this and haven't been able to figure this out. I
> loaded nx from the yum option and all went well.(4.2.0) First I had a
> pam auth failure. I went into the etc/pam.d/sercurity-auth.conf and the
> success line to < 101 for authorizing uid. That got me alittle farther.
> Now I get
>
> NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 31251
> NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
> NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
> NX> 200 Connected to address: 169.244.34.144 on port: 22
> NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
> NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
> NX> 204 Authentication failed.
>
> I thought the install program took care of the nx user auth. What am I
> missing?
> Any help appreciated
> Mark

I did this, roughly from memory, to solve the same problem:

rm -rf /var/lib/nxserver/nxhome/.ssh/
mkdir /var/lib/nxserver/nxhome/.ssh/
chmod 700 /var/lib/nxserver/nxhome/.ssh/
nxsetup --setup-nomachinekey
nxsetup --force --setup-nomachinekey

For me all those steps were necessary. I got this from #ltsp on irc.
Forgive me if the paths are slightly wrong. I'm doing this from memory,
but I think it's close to the target :=)

Hope this helps!

Trond