[K12OSN] Help! Sendmail doesn't SEND - only receives

richard ingalls aslansreturn at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 20:05:29 UTC 2005

--- Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 12:03, richard ingalls wrote:
>
> > this was originally a RedHat 8.0 install (K12LTSP
> > 3.0.0).  it worked fine then.  did an apt-get
> upgrade
> > which upgraded sendmail, then all of a sudden i'm
> not
> > able to send mail from mozilla mail (anywhere in
> my
> > network EXCEPT the server).  what changed from the
> > original sendmail rpm with RH8 to the upgraded
> version
> > on the LTSP apt repository?
>
> I'm not sure when the default was changed, but that
> is
> the correct behavior for an unmodified Redhat/fedora
> sendmail.
> You have to change this line in sendmail.mc
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1,
> Name=MTA')dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl
> then rebuild sendmail.cf and restart sendmail if you
> want it
> to accept mail over the network.  You also have to
> add your network address to a line in
> /etc/mail/access
> like:
> 192.168.0 RELAY
> for networks that should be able to forward
> non-local mail
> out through this server (and rebuild the access.db
> database).

OK, here is some more info... I can send mail from the
server - no problem.  I can use Mozilla mail to check
my emails, but I CAN'T REPLY to them... I can use
Usermin to check my emails and reply to them.  Mozilla
mail or Thunderbird or some other MUA are the culprits
that CANNOT SEND (from a client in the network).

I have my laptop's ip# in the /etc/mail/relay-domains
(as well as several other ip#'s from my network).

I have my domain in the /etc/mail/access xxx.xxx.xxx
RELAY (that should allow everyone in my domain to
send, right?)

This is a RH8 box with upgraded sendmail rpms (8.12.8)
via the k12ltsp apt repositories.