[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu Feb 3 01:08:45 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Wednesday, February 2, 2005 at 5:39 PM +0000 wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 15:57, Tom Lisjac wrote:
>> >
>> > But if they have been using Windows file sharing permissions, then
>they must have to log in as a unique user at some point, no?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> Simultaneous logins using the same account is possible. The same is
>> true with Linux.
>
>If you are willing to accept anyone being able to delete, copy or
>overwrite anyone else's work...  That doesn't sound reasonable in
>a hostile environment like a school.

Let me ask this....what version of Windows?  98, 2000, XP?  Are you using
a domain or simply using workgroups.  Are you creating the individual
student folders one by one?  Are students the ONLY ones able to create and
delete files in their own folder?  If so then how can you have truly
individual permissions if you don't have individual logins?  Either we're
missing something or you've managed to do the impossible.  The only other
thing I can imagine you're doing is that users log on to the machine with
a common user account and then connect to a share where they are prompted
to enter another more specific username and password.  Can you describe
from start to finish how you are supposedly having students able to log in
with a common user account, yet save to a totally individual folder that
no other students can add and delete from?  Maybe we're missing something
here.....

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School