[K12OSN] rdesktop and windows terminal services

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu Feb 3 19:37:46 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, February 3, 2005 at 1:11 PM +0000 wrote:
>Hello all on the list.  I have a situation where I could get Linux into
>the door if I could "prove" that rdesktop could be used as a fully
>featured client for Windows Server terminal services.   This company
>must have one windows app, and one IE6 app, but is open to using Linux
>and ltsp.
>
>Has anyone one the list used rdesktop, and can it be used effectively as
>a client to terminal services.  I don't want to test it and recommend it
>if it does not work as advertised.
>
>Any thoughts are welcome!
>
>Chris Curtis

We use it everyday from our Linux Terminals via rdesktop.  We have it as a
menu item in IceWM....the kids click on "Connect to Windows" and it comes
up with the Windows login with the username and domain already filled in.
Very cool and fast.  Nice to have the best of both worlds.  The only
caveat is sound...sound works, but not well....in fact it will slow things
to a crawl.  We don't use sound in Windows....99% of anything we'd need
sound for can be done in Linux.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School