[K12OSN] Authenticate OS 10.3 to K12LTSP LDAP server (made with script)

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu Feb 3 23:58:49 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, February 3, 2005 at 5:05 PM +0000 wrote:
> Now I want to setup an OS 10.3 client to
>authenticate against the LDAP or PDC server on login.
>Can anyone tell me the steps to joining OS 10.3 to the domain?

Ok...I'll try.  I'm not in front of an OS X machine that I can join to an
LDAP domain, but I am typing this on a 10.3.8 iBook (does that count?)
I'm going to give you some stuff to try...let me know if it works or not.
First you need to go to "Applications" > "Utilities" > "Directory Access".
 Select LDAPv3  and select configure.  Set the location for Automatic if
it isn't already.  Set the LDAP mappings to "From Server"  (it should be
already selected, but select it again so it will prompt you for the
domain)  when prompted for the search domain...enter what you put in for a
domain when you ran the smbldap-installer script that Matt made.
Example....if you put in   example.com   you would enter in the search
domain field      dc=example,dc=com   (remember no spaces anywhere)
Configure the server name or IP address (I would use the IP address...of
your Samba/LDAP server).  And that "should" be it, but I'm not sure and I
have not tested, but you've given me something to check tomorrow  :-)

>By the way, thanks David.  This couldn't have been any easier to setup.
  And thank Matt too as he did a lot of the heavy lifting with the script.
 :-)

Again...let me know how you make out....I'm going to be teaching this in a
couple of weeks in New Hampshire and it would be nice to add your
findings.  :-)  I can also add them to the documentation with credit to
you of course!  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School