[K12OSN] Help....smbldap-installer and roaming profiles....I need help to fix

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Sat Feb 5 22:11:54 UTC 2005

> Here's something I've found....it may be nothing...or it may be
> everything....
>
> when I run     getent passwd     on my current functioning Samba/LDAP
> server (production box...pre smbldap-installer) I get ...
>
> Administrator:x:0:512:Netbios Domain Administrator:/home/:/bin/false
>
> Where as on a machine I just set up with smbldap-installer....I get...
>
> Administrator:x:0:512:Netbios Domain
> Administrator:/home/Administrator:/bin/false
>
> Note the difference in "home".  Are you guys seeing this?  I'm having
> issue running programs like gedit as it wants to write to
> /home/Administrator, but it isn't there.   I wonder if this is
> contributing?

I don't have much time over the weekend but I'll check it out first thing
Monday.  But I think your on to something with the home.  I noticed that
after running the script, when I rebooted for the first time, I recieved an
error when logging onto the server as root.  The message said that it
couldn't find the home directory /home/Administrator.  I found that it was
odd that it was looking for a home directory of Administrator when I logged
in as root and I never set up an Administrator user.  So I figured the
script must have modified the root user into Administrator.  Then I logged
in with a standard user, did su and created a /home/Administrator folder and
chmod and chown so it matched the privs of /root.  Then copied all files and
folders from /root to /home/Administrator.  Then logged out and back in as
root and the problems were solved.

Not sure what all that means but maybe it will give you a clue as to what is
happening with the home folders and permissions.

I just ssh'ed to my test box and here is the result of getent passwd for
Administrator: