[K12OSN] network design

Sharon Betts sbetts at msad71.net
Sun Feb 6 19:37:03 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Sunday, February 06, 2005 at 12:37 PM +0000 wrote:
>That depends on what desktop you have people using, which apps they're
>expected to run, etc.  For either GNOME or KDE with OpenOffice.org and
>Firefox/Thunderbird (or traditional Mozilla), I'd say between 30 and 40
>thin clients is the max.  My dual-proc server with 4GB DRAM handles 25
>today and has enough room for another roughly 15 before swapping starts
>taking place.  My kids run their choice of GNOME or KDE.
We are presently running KDE / Mozilla (both locally on the flash memory
card) and Star Office from the server.   We are trying to move away form
those high bandwidth apps by using many more web-based programs and sites.
   starfall, atoz, MarcoPolo, Type2Learn etc.   We will need to run GIMP,
cMap and Scribus from the server as well.

Sharon