[K12OSN] Help....smbldap-installerandroamingprofiles....Ineedhelp to fix

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Feb 7 19:24:32 UTC 2005

I am currently going through the instructions to setup manually.  I get
to Step 9: Setting the Manager password.  I do smbpasswd -w secret
(where 'secret' is my password).  Now my password has a ! in it.  So
when I issue the command with my password following I get
-bash: !xxxx: event not found.  So as not to divulge my password here is
an abitrary example.

# smbpasswd -w pa!sswd
-bash: !sswd: event not found

Does the script compensate for such a thing or is this where my problem
may be arising?  Is anyone else who has the roaming profile problem
using any "special" character for a password that may hose up the
script?

Also another note.  I have seen some stuff in Google that implies some
users roaming profiles have failed to copy to the server on logout due
to issues with a certain NVIDIA running.  I guess they just stopped the
NVIDIA service and all was well.  I happen to have and NVIDIA card on
the test win2k client I am using and was excited to find this, and also
equally dissapointed to find out this wasn't my problem :-)  After
rereading it appears this causes a problem only on logout not on login,
but good to know in case that happens next.