[K12OSN] Making K12LTSP "school friendly"

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Mon Feb 7 20:28:48 UTC 2005

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> I wish we could battle this on the software manufacturer level.  If only
> these companies would recognize the future of Linux and write for that
> platform as well.  Yeah I know....preachin' to the chior  :-)

A very effective way for you to influence their development direction is
to contact them on behalf of your district.  Let them know that you are
growing your deployment of Linux and would like to know what their plans
are to port their product to this platform.  Assure them that you are
eager to buy, but to afford their product you will need to achieve cost
savings on the Operating System.

Money talks.  Imagine if we each contacted these companies and informed
them of the growing market opportunities being created by the K12LTSP
and Skolelinux.  You will notice that Benchmark Tracker works with
Mozilla.  This is because one of our teachers in Hawaii, Peter, and one
of our volunteers, Vince, called the company and informed them of the
sales opportunity.

--scott