[K12OSN] smbldap-installer v. 1.2-gamma (profiles working and"Administrator" is now "root")

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Feb 7 21:52:02 UTC 2005

> Dave Trask was the first
>   to successfully test after appending "%U" to the userProfile setting
>   in smbldap.conf.  (Simply changing this setting on a previously
>   configured system may or may not work.  I haven't tested it.)

I made the change to a running system and it does work.  But, any
existing users I found out were created with the old settings.  So the
reason I was unsuccessful in getting things to work is I had not removed
those users and recreated new ones.  After that things work fine.  So
just to be sure things are in good shape after all my messing around I
am taking David's advice and canning the thing and will reload it with
your new script.  I'll report back to let you know if there were/weren't
any problems.

> * The Administrator user has been laid to rest; use 'root' now in its
>   place.  NOTE: This means you use 'root' with root's SAMBA password
>   to add Windoze machines to your domain.  (You set root's Samba
>   password while the smb-ldap.pl script is running.)
>
> Thanks to everyone here (particularly Dave Trask) for helping
> to track down the profiles bug!
>
> And it was an email from Dave that gave me the solution for
> ditching the Administrator user.

Good.  That will eliminate the weird stuff when logging in as root on
the server as well.

Thanks Matt and Dave for your efforts.

Do either of you know if Webmin will still be able to be used for
adding/removing/modifying users along with its bulk add section?  If not
I'll just give it a whirl when I get rebuilt.