[K12OSN] synergy between the K12LTSP and Skolelinux]

Trond Mæhlum trond at mahlum.biz
Mon Feb 7 21:50:36 UTC 2005

---------Videresendt melding-------
Fra: Trond Mæhlum <trond at mahlum.biz>
Til: Support list for opensource software in schools.
<k12osn at redhat.com>
Emne: Re: [K12OSN] synergy between the K12LTSP and Skolelinux
Dato: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:41:24 +0100
man, 07,.02.2005 kl. 10.54 -1000, skrev R. Scott Belford:

> The developers have integrated webmin into the project, and as one adds
> users to this interface, the ldap server is updated.  Where the K12LTSP
> lacks, Skole excels.  Where Skole lacks, the K12LTSP excels.

This is exactly why I have set up Skolelinux and K12LTSP working
together. Skolelinux, which means School linux in Norwegian, ig you
did'nt know that, acts as the main server, with all it's services turned
on. We use it for, LDAP, Squid, SquidGuard, DNS, Backup, Nagios, Munin
(LR RD), webserver, mailserver... All of those work out of the box.

We use K12LTSP simply as a terminal server, simply because of it's new
software. I my opinion, the mainserver needs to be rock solid, hence
Debian Stable. I myself, cannot seem to agree with Debian, and believe
me I have tried.

I am a Redhat person, but have to admit that the Skolelinux main server
profile is totally awesome!

Regards

Trond Mæhlum
Norway