[K12OSN] Making K12LTSP "school friendly"

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Feb 8 00:22:27 UTC 2005

> Of course, you could simply move away from titles like Reader Rabbit,
>  Oregon Trail, etc.  If these companies care about the lost sales,
> they'll get in line.    Besides, the way I learned to read was by
> reading actual books, and I'm not all that old.  Is reading actual
> books not considered "good" anymore?

Funny you say that.  I myself have installed this software on a few thousand
machines, but can honestly say I have never used the software myself.  So I
personally have no idea what the big deal is with the software.  And I really
get a kick out of when the libraries argue for more money for books, when I
just about never see a student reading a real book anymore.  In fact, I'll bet
in a couple years some students won't know you you mean when you say the word
"book" :-)

And more ironic thing is that I have tried to get around the need for specific
software by asking teachers/admins to document the computer skills the are
attempting to teach the kids at each grade level, but come to find out no one
knows what they are trying to teach, just that they have a curriculum with
lesson plans setup by someone else and they just teach what they have.  So if
you don't know what you are teaching, what the heck is the point?