[K12OSN] project management for windows on linux

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Feb 8 15:07:56 UTC 2005

Going to freshmeat.net and searching for 'project manager' turned up a bunch of
things.  One I did not see on the list but may be worth checking into is
mrproject, for gnome.  Several of the hits on freshmeat appear to be web-based,
which means Windows users could access them with no special tools.  If, however,
you find a project manager that only runs under X, check out XLiveCD: it's a CD
image (which you put onto a CD) and when you put it in a Windows machine, it
automatically launches Cygwin's X server.  It has an option to install the X
server onto the hard drive.  Then you could use putty to create public keys on
each user's desktop machine, copy those to the Linux server, which would then
allow you to run an ssh session that automatically calls, say, mrproject, and it
would be displayed on the user's Windows box via the CygWin X server.  It may be
possible to do this using telnet/rsh instead of ssh, but ssh can more easily
take care of getting the DISPLAY variable set correctly.

Petre