[K12OSN] Grub

Michael C Wescott wescott at sc.rr.com
Wed Feb 9 00:20:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 23:04, Jason wrote:
> Has anyone had the problem of the master boot record corrupting?  Is
> there a way of rebuilding it?

Yes. My favorite way of rebuilding it was to boot s Knoppix CD and mount
the boot partion, then invoke grub-install.

In my case, I was dual booting with XP and every time I shutdown XP
cleanly the MBR was corrupted. It probably has something to do with the
particular installation of XP (on a Dell laptop). I've worked with other
XP dual boot setups that didn't have this problem. The permanent fix was
to use the windows loader (google grub-w2k-HOWTO for details).