[K12OSN] Making K12LTSP "school friendly"

Sharon Betts sbetts at msad71.net
Wed Feb 9 03:16:00 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 7:48 PM +0000 wrote:
> Computers are great tools, but they are only
>tools, to be used in addition to other methods of education.  What I'm
>hearing here is such a strong teacher dependence on and attachment to
>the computer, and worse, to certain specific applications, that I see it
>compromising actual education in the classroom.  It's preventing so many
>of you from going forward with a truly useful, not to mention economic,
>*computer* tool like K12LTSP.
This isn't at all what I have been reading.  I believe that anyone on this
list wishes to promote technology toward support of "actual education".
However, there are some of those 'certain applications' that teachers have
been using to supplement curriculum (not replace) and the move to change
is not easy.  What I love to read are all the suggestions for solving the
hurdles that we face as we move with the constantly changing technologies
(and budget restraints).

Sharon
MSAD#71 Director of Educational Technology
sbetts at msad71.net          http://www.msad71.net     207-985-1100
"To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
Robert Orben