[K12OSN] Sound on Mac thins

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Feb 9 04:04:23 UTC 2005

Has anyone been successfull with getting any sound out of a Mac running as a
true thin client from 4.2.0?  If anyone has any suggestions I would love to
give them a whirl.  The first flavor I would like to putz with is the Bondi
Blue (aka puke green) iMacs.  They are what my schools have the most of and
I know the elementary levels will want sound (why, only god knows.  I've
been in the labs with 30 kids playing bug town without headphones.  I am
suprised we still have teachers after that experience.)

My first thought was setting the sound daemon to esd, then trying some of
the sound tricks floating around in the last few days.  Also I tried Gnome,
KDE, and ICEWM.  No luck.  I am sure I won't have any luck since there isn't
much that would know about the Mac hardware.

Would it make any sense to load up YDL or something on one of these machines
and throwing the XF86Config into /opt/ltsp/ppc/etc/XF86Config.bondi on the
LTSP server and then setting a custom config by Mac address to use the
custom Xconfig?

This is my next best thought.  I thought if that worked I'll try to get a
config from every vintage I have and include them
as /opt/ltsp/ppc/etc/XF86Config.vintage in a new package so they are
available to all by default who wish to support macs.

Just looking for a maybe or something before I get started.  For all I know
the XF86Config has no effect on sound :-)

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188