[K12OSN] RE: RE: smbldap-installer v. 1.2-gamma - gnome login "problem"

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Feb 9 14:30:33 UTC 2005

Ok...I tried my own advice...here's what worked and what didn't....

First I ran smbldap-usermod -s /bin/bash ctrask  to change the shell for
user ctrask from /bin/false to /bin/bash

Next I tried to run smbldap-useradd again on ctrask  (doh!  Can't do that
as the user exists already)

Next I rebooted....again....no dice...said the System Administrator has
disable the account...Ok...at least I'm getting somewhere

So...once I rebooted...I ran smbldap-usermod -P ctrask  and changed the
password....this took care of it....I am now able to log in to Gnome.
This is not a critical issue, but I'm wondering if we should change back
to /bin/bash by default.  I am curious...and haven't been able to try
it...does this /bin/false make it not possible to log in from a terminal?

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Wednesday, February 09, 2005 at 9:05 AM +0000 wrote:
>Try this....
>
>Use usermod to change the user from /bin/false to
>/bin/bash....then...making note of the current password....recreate the
>user using smbldap-useradd   Example:  let's say we have a user named
>Santa Claus.....username is sclaus and password is nee72too....first run
>smbldap-usermod  -s /bin/bash sclaus    then run smbldap-useradd -m -a
>sclaus   and then smbldap-passwd sclaus.  (note I have not tried this so
>I'm asking for your evaluation)  Then see if you can log into Gnome.  The
>only other idea I have is to reboot after changing the user.  What I'm
>wondering is if there is some /etc/skel stuff that needs to be copied for
>the user to work correctly after having been changed....just guessing
>here....

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School