[K12OSN] Using Vampire command to move from a Samba 2.27 domain to Samba 3 ldap domain

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Wed Feb 9 14:54:46 UTC 2005

I've been try to move our existing samba domain over onto my `sandbox`
machine using the following command

net rpc vampire -S rho -U root

root is just a samba admin user that I use to join machines to the domain,
it's a different password to the usual "root" user.

I've joined the machine to the domain and checked that is is showing in our
existing /etc/samba/smbpasswd file but when I issue the command this is the
error I get.

Cannot import users from TANGIER at this time, as the current domain:
        TANGIER-BDC: S-1-5-21-2763748117-1761391023-2178874400
conflicts with the remote domain
        TANGIER: S-1-5-21-3889783498-3206798075-3096547488
Perhaps you need to set:

        security=user
        workgroup=TANGIER

 in your smb.conf?

I've tried the security = user & security = domain but with the same
results.

Is it possible to set the SID to the same on both servers , if so how and
what problems might it cause ??

What I'd like to do is copy everything over, disconnect new PDC from old
network change it into a PDC, unplug an existing machine from old PDC and
plug it into new PDC to se if I can login

If it's not possible how can I move all the existing users & machine
accounts over onto the new system without having to visit each machine in
turn and join it to the new PDC. At the mo on my test network not a problem
as it's only a couple of machines but I don't want to have to do it on all
500 ish machines when it going into mainstream use.

Thanks
Brian Chivers