[K12OSN] Move users and home from existing server to new LDAP server

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Feb 9 21:03:54 UTC 2005

I have an all in one server right now that is doing just about
everything for a school and is running WBEL 3.0.1.  I want to take the
entire /home directory and all users from this machine and move it to
the new SMB/LDAP/K12LTSP server.  Once user and files are moved I want
to NFS export /home then make the current WBEL server nfs mount /home
from the new LDAP server and also switch from local unix users to
authenticating to the new LDAP server.

Is this as simple as tarring the current /home and expanding it on the
new server?  The NFS export should already be setup from the SMB/LDAP
installer script right?

I have a database with the usernames and passwords in plain text, but I
assume the best way would be to export from the server so as to preserve
user ID's for permissions to the /home folders?  If so how to I export
this information into a format that the bulk add scripts will recognize?

A lot of questions I know.  Luckily I am not under any pressure to get
this done now.  I just need to know how for my migration at the end of
the school year.

Thanks

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department